The Sisters of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus

Arch bishop Leo Hale Taylor – The Founder of the Sisters of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus

Archbishop Leo Taylor, SMA began our congregation in Nigeria, in 1943.  He was responding to the need for a religious institute of African women. The charism of our congregation is one of sharing the sentiments of Christ when he instituted the Eucharist- love, thanksgiving, praise and sacrifice. 

The primary end of the congregation is for the glory of God and sanctification of the members as they bear witness to the love of Christ in instituting the Eucharist. The members achieve this end by observing the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience and in the service of their neighbour. The sisters carry out this service through different works of the apostolate such as-teaching, social work, medical, pastoral etc. 

 The congregation started with five postulants and presently there are over 200 sisters ministering in Nigeria, USA, Italy, South Africa and Canada.  Presently there are about 30 candidates in formation. The congregation attained a pontifical status in 2008. The mother house is situated in Lagos, Nigeria with Sr. Mary Agatha Osarenkhoe as the current superior general.  

 The intention of our founder was that we become missionaries. In 2000, this was realized when the congregation opened a house in the Archdiocese of Halifax at the invitation of Archbishop Terrence Prendergast, SJ.  Sisters Joana Madu and Anne Marie Ezenwa were sent to pioneer this project. The sisters immediately opened their convent to the people for Mass, adoration and hospitality. A community has evolved over the years and the convent has served as a meeting place for people from across the diocese.

      

Current Administration of the Sisters of EHJ:

Sisters Thanksgiving Mass of the opening of the 75th anniversary in Nigeria.